Beetle Kill & Bioenergy Resources
A collection of links to external resources relating to bark beetles, forest management, and bioenergy technologies
Forest information, health assessments, beetle infestation maps
- US Forest Service (USFS) Mountain Pine Beetle page - information about Mountain Pine Beetle infestation extent, safety issues, and management recommendations
- USFS Aerial Detection Survey - mapping the extent and intensity of insect attacks, including the Mountain Pine Beetle and Spruce Beetle
- Colorado State Forest Service (CSFS) Colorado Forest Health Reports - annual updates on insects, diseases, and other stressors across all CO forest ecosystems; management recommendations
- Our Future Forests: Beyond Bark Beetles - a video series highlighting the recent bark beetle infestations in southern Wyoming and repercussions for recreation, timber harvest, wildfire, and future forest diversity, produced by the University of Wyoming Ruckelshaus Institute of Environment and Natural Resources. Includes wonderful cinematography, and features several BANR researchers and collaborators!
- Aspen Center for Environmental Studies (ACES) - has lots of great information on forest health issues in Colorado
- video - What's Happening in Our Forest? how bioenergy and biochar production can help to address forest health issues stemming from fire suppression, management history, and climate change
General forest management information
- USFS Science You Can Use Bulletin - bi-monthly updates on a variety of forest management topics including insect infestation, wildfire, climate change, and bioenergy, including a webinar series
- USFS Rocky Mountain Research Station (RMRS) Future Forests Webinar Series - "...provides a forum for managers and scientists to jointly discuss research findings and management implications for post-outbreak forests"
- CSFS Colorado Wildfire Risk Assessment Portal (CO-WRAP) - high-resolution interactive maps exploring past fire activity and current wildfire risk
- Sierra Nevada Conservancy fuels treatment cost-benefit analysis
- Forest Business Network - "The source for forest product industry professionals"
Local forest management collaboratives
- Colorado Bark Beetle Cooperative - The Colorado Bark Beetle Cooperative (CBBC) is a place-based collaborative to address the environmental, social and economic impacts of bark beetles on high altitude forests. The steering committee is comprised of federal, state, and local government representatives and representatives of utility and water providers, wood products industry, conservation and public interest groups.
- Front Range Roundtable (Colorado) - The Roundtable is a coalition of individuals from state and federal agencies, local governments, environmental and conservation organizations, the academic and scientific communities, and industry and user groups, all with a commitment to forest health and fire risk mitigation along Colorado’s Front Range. The Roundtable’s focus area encompasses 10 Front Range counties: Boulder, Clear Creek, Douglas, El Paso, Gilpin, Grand, Jefferson, Larimer, Park and Teller.
- Idaho Forest Restoration Partnership - The Idaho Forest Restoration Partnership connects, informs, and supports collaborative groups working to restore the resilience of Idaho forests.
- Montana Forest Restoration Committee - The Montana Forest Restoration Committee (MFRC) is primarily a volunteer consensus-based collaborative group, which was formed in January 2007 to help guide restoration of Montana’s National Forests.
Companies utilizing beetle-kill wood
- Saratoga Forest Management (Saratoga WY) - dimensional lumber
- Confluence Energy (Kremmling, Walden CO) - wood pellets, activated carbon, animal bedding, soil amendments
- Eagle Vally Clean Energy (Gypsum CO) - 11.5 MW electricity
- CSFS Colorado Forest Products Database - includes a variety of large- and small-scale operations utilizing blue stain wood
- Cool Planet Energy Systems - Cool Fuels
- Red Rock Biofuels
Companies utilizing other sources of biofuels
Other places to find companies involved with biofuels
Biofuel and bio-product conversion technologies
- Alberta Biomass to Products Study, Final Report, March, 2013 (pdf download)
- Stump to Pump Project - Completed in Sept 2014, this 14 month, ~$11M project examined the technical and economic feasibility of liquid biofuel production from Radiata Pine residues in New Zealand.
- Exploring Energy Efficiency & Alternatives (E3A) - "your extension curriculum for non-biased, research-based information on energy efficiency and small renewable energy technologies for home, farm, and ranch," courtesy of the University of Wyoming and Montana State University extension services.
- All Power Labs (Berkeley CA) - small portable gasification systems for distributed electricity and biochar production.
- company profile in Gigaom